It began as the Campeonato Metropolitano de tango de salon con estilo y elegancia with the first qualifying rounds held in Lo de Celia Tango Club on January 4, 2002. I reported on Tango-L about the purpose of the competition and criteria for judging. It’s interesting to note that all 20 couples who signed up for the competition on the first night danced at the same time, unlike today with rounds of ten couples on larger floors. It was a milonga environment. Professionals were not allowed to enter the competition. Age divisions were not part of the competition until 2008 (senior and adult). Milongueros viejos and young couples competed together. First prize in 2002 was 600 pesos awarded to three couples in three zones; this year’s prize was 20,000 pesos. I reported on the Centro-Sur finals that were held outdoors at the Centro Cultural del Sur. I wrote a brief history of the first four years here. Very few milongueros viejos competed after the first year as a result of biased judging.
This is my video of the Centro-Sur zone finals of the Campeonato Metropolitano de Tango de Salon con Estilo and Elegancia. I didn’t attend the Oeste zone finals on February 22, 2002, and no longer have the master recording of the Norte zone finals on March 1, 2002, when Amanda Lucero, Juan Topalian, Muma Valino, and Ricardo Vidort competed. The competition was part of the IV Festival Buenos Aires Tango, which took place during a crisis in Argentina, and included 200+ free tango classes around the city. The city cancelled the first campeonato mundial scheduled for July 2002.
The competition results were published in the March and April 2002 issues of B.A. Tango — Buenos Aires Tango. Bold text indicates teachers.
Zona Centro-Sur judges: Carlos Rivarola, Gloria Barraud, Eduardo Arquimbau, Gloria and Rodolfo Dinzel.
- Graciela Lopez - Blas Clemente Catrenau
- Gabriela Sanguinetti – Enrique Usales Urtubey
- Cintia Yassogna – Mariano Rodriguez
- Lorena Leiva – Nicolas Chavero
- Erika Lopez – Fabrizio Forti
- Maria Eugenia Cuyas – Nestor La Vitola
- Graciela Legan – Luis Luduena
- Angela Ciccone – Fernando Monetti
- Emilse Sanchez – Norberto Moreno
Zona Oeste judges: Aurora Lubiz, Jorge Firpo, Carlos and Maria Rivarola, Celia Blanco.
- Vanina Muchenik – Gabriel Aspe
- Maria Plazaola – David Derman
- Karina Moriyon – Marcos Gerardo Quiroz
- Dalila Yentel – Marcelo Guitierrez
- Julia de Leo – Jose Lepanto
- Ana M. Gonzalez – Pablo Maccarone
- Carla Verga – Ollantay Rojas
- Norma Garcia – Alberto Sancia
- Monica Paz – Osvaldo Spinelli
Zona Norte judges: Juan Carlos Copes, Milena Plebs, Juan Fernandez, Elsa Maria Borquez and Hector Mayoral.
- Silvia Mussi – Alfredo Alonso
- Cecilia Raffo – Gustavo Rasso
- Iliana Mohaupt – Rodrigo Ruiz
- Viviana Represas – Carlos Cordoba
- Gimena Aramburu – Juan Fosati
- Stella Maris Hassan – Jose Maria Gomez
- Susana Beruedo – Roberto Otero
- Karina Reches – Pablo Villegas
- Nilda de Virtuani – Luis Virtuani